Stowlangtoft, Suffolk

Stowlangtoft, Suffolk

Stowlangtoft is a village and civil parish in the Mid Suffolk district of Suffolk, two miles south-east from Ixworth. Located around five miles north-east of Bury St Edmunds, in 2005 its population was 270.

The village, originally just Stow, was held by the de Languetot family in the early 13th century.

For all of Stowlangtoft's small size, St George's is within the group classed as "Great Churches".

The church was built as a single construction project in the late 14th century and barely changed until the restoration work undertaken in the 19th century.
The church is in the decorated and later English styles; the chancel contains several richly-carved stalls and monuments to members of the family of D'Ewes.
The church and parsonage house are located on what was once the site of a Roman encampment. Sir Symonds D'Ewes, Bart., the eminent antiquary, lived in the Hall.

Mercedes

Mercedes

Peter Tillemans, one of the founders of the English school of sporting painting, was buried in St George's on December 7, 1734.

At some point after the Dissolution of the monasteries, St George's acquired six 14th-century misericords. It is not clear where these misericords originated, but possible candidates are Thetford Priory or Bury Abbey.

In the grounds of Stowlangtoft Hall, there is a gruesome-looking tree attracting many visitors.

Mercedes

Mercedes

Mercedes