Risby, Suffolk

Risby, Suffolk

Risby is a small village in West Suffolk with a population of approximately 866 people.

It is situated approximately three miles west of Bury St Edmunds.

It is believed that the village was founded in about the 10th century, presumably on the strength of its having a Norse name, possibly Rȳðs - by "farm settlement at a clearing" and identical to Ryssby in Sweden. The traditional division or Hundred in which it stands is Thingoe, also a Norse name.

Risby was recorded in Domesday as Rasbi and Risbi and Resebi. The Black Ditches are on the western edge of the parish are believed to be the most easterly of a series of early Anglo-Saxon defensive earthworks built across the Icknield Way.

Saxham and Risby Station, 1 mile (1.6 km) south of the village, opened in 1854 and closed in December 1964, though passenger traffic ceased in 1967.
Risby Church of England Primary School operates in the village which also has a village hall and two pubs.

St Giles Church lies opposite Quay's Farm behind a wall of flints and pink bricks and consists of nave, chancel and porch with traceried windows and one of the East Anglian round towers, in flint, containing three bells.

The tower is plain up to above roof level, where a number of lancets appear below a shallow battlemented parapet.

It is similar to the round tower at neighbouring Little Saxham.

The church guide suggests a date about 1000 to 1066.

The interior of the church contains tablets to the Danby, Wastell, and Spark families; also a carved screen.

On the nave floor, partly under a carpet, could be noted some arms of the Godfrey family in exactly the same style and material as those also noted for Godfrey at Lydd, Kent.

Mercedes

Mercedes

The village has a range of facilities including a primary school, a pre-school, a small shop, two pubs, a nursing home and a garden centre.
There is also a large village hall and playing field with play equipment. A wide range of classes and activities are on offer in the village hall. Recycling facilities are available in the village hall car park. It is a very picturesque village with two greens and three ponds.

Mercedes

Mercedes

Mercedes