Nowton, Suffolk

Nowton, Suffolk

Nowton is a small village and civil parish in the St Edmundsbury district of Suffolk.

Located on the southern edge of Bury St Edmunds, in 2005 its population was 140.

The village is situated to the south of the vast Nowton Park.

The park is almost 200 acres in size and is landscaped in typical Victorian style.

It is owned by St Edmundsbury Borough Council and managed for recreation, leisure and nature conservation. It was once part of the Oakes family estate and contains wild flower meadows, mixed woodland, wildlife ponds and an arboretum featuring trees from around the world. It is renowned for The Lime Avenue with its 100,000 daffodils that emerge in spring.

St Peter's Church is the parish church of the village and dates from the 12th century.

It was enlarged and renewed in 1843 at the cost of H J Oakes Esq and J H Porteus Oakes Esq and is a grade II* listed building.

The church is a neat building that contains a nave and chancel and a good collection of late medieval Flemish glass windows. The bell tower contains 6 bells.
To the south of the park lies Nowton Court which was built in 1837 and was owned by the Oakes family.

For several years it was run as a boarding prep school until it closed and pupils and staff moved to Old Buckenham Hall School, in Brettenham.
Its most famous alumnus is Nigel Havers Nowton Court is now a retirement home called 'Nowton Court Village'.

Mercedes

Mercedes

The village is also the location of Grade 2 listed Nowton Hall.

The former farmhouse is dated 1595 on the chimney-stack with the initials A P for Anthony Payne (d.1606). The house stands on the remains of a roughly E-shaped moated site. Prior to the Dissolution, the manor belonged to the Benedictine Abbey of St. Edmundsbury.

According to the Office for National Statistics, at the time of the United Kingdom Census 2001 Nowton had a population of 131 with 59 households increasing to a population of 163 in 61 households at the 2011 Census

Mercedes

Mercedes

Mercedes