Culford, Suffolk

Culford, Suffolk

Culford is a small village about four miles (6 km) north of Bury St Edmunds.

The village developed along a straight road called "The Street" and there are also some smaller residential areas in Culford, like Benyon gardens, a complex of small lanes.

Most of the houses in central Culford are pre-war while those at the edges of the village are post-war and later. The population is included in the civil parish of Barton Mills.

Culford's Public House, The White Hart, (now known as Benyon Lodge) was closed in December 1840 by Richard Benyon, owner of the Culford Estate between 1824 and 1883, because he regarded it as "a scene of moral debauchery".

The first mention of a postal service in Culford is in July 1852, when a type of postmark known as an undated circle was issued.

Mercedes

Mercedes

The post office closed in January 1990 and has since been turned into Culford Day nursery.

The village also has an independent boarding and day school for boys and girls aged two to 18 years.

Mercedes

Mercedes

Mercedes