Chevington, Suffolk

Chevington, Suffolk


Chevington is a village and civil parish in the West Suffolk district located around 10 km south-west of Bury St Edmunds, in 2005 its population was 630, reducing to 602 at the 2011 Census. The parish also contains the hamlets of Broad Green and Tan Office Green.

Chevington was probably from “Ceofan”, a leader of a clan of the Angles called “Cifongas” with the “ing” meaning a place, farm or clearing belonging to him. It appeared in the “Little Domesday” Book as “Ceuentuna”, 200 years later it was either “Chevintun” or “Cheveton” and from the 14th century as “Chevington”.

The village was a part of the Saxon estate of Britulf, but was given over to the Abbey of St Edmund after the Norman Conquest. The Abbey in Bury had been founded by the Benedictines in 1020 to shelter the remains of St Edmund and became one of the largest in England.

Besides generating income for the Abbey, some of the woods were used as a retreat for hunting deer and fishing for the Abbot and guests.

Chevington was a “close” parish, with movement into the village restricted until the early 19th century, and as a high proportion of the parish was owned by a single family, there were relatively few freeholders.

The Church of All Saints was recorded in the Domesday survey, but was replaced by a Norman church in stone in about the 12th century, with parts still existing. Since then. it has been extensively added or removed. In the 16th century, the bell tower was added, which is said to have and extended in height in the early 19th century, said to be so it could be seen from the newly constructed hall at Ickworth. In about 1700, the roof was lowered and shortened in length.

Moat Farmhouse at Brooks's Corner, is the only grade II domestic building in the village. It is from the early 15th century with later alterations and extensions. It is an example of a three-cell open hall house with a late 16th-century first floor and attics. It is likely that the rear wing of the house, formerly moated, was added at the same time as the first floor of the hall.

The Old Rectory was originally moated, it was built in the 16th century, but reconstructed in the 18th. The rear is the oldest section.

Chevington Hall is on the site of an ancient camp, of which little is known. The earthworks and a fosse surrounding the hall are thought to have been constructed for defence and appear to predate the Romans. It was used as the retreat house of the Abbots of St Edmunds Abbey from the 13th century.



After the Dissolution, it became a manor house for Thomas Kytson of Hengrave and then later the Gages, who became the largest land-owners in the district. It's been suggested that the widow of Thomas Kytson modified the Abbot's Hall, but retained its general plan, steep roof and mullioned windows and incorporating some framing members from the hall.

The current farmhouse, is mid 16th century with alterations. Timber-framed, encased in painted brick at the front and sides. Two storeys, hipped plain-tiled roof with axial chimneys of red brick, 18th-century mullioned and transomed windows of 4 and 6 lights. Late 18th-century six-panelled entrance door with architrave and flat canopy.

Stonehouse Farmhouse, formerly the Old Factory Farmhouse, is situated near the original Clothing Factory of 1852. It is timber framed & previously thatched. It is mainly 17th century.

Grazier's House of Weather Cock Hill, with its attics and axial chimney of red brick, possibly where Robert Somerton had his house in the 14th century.

Chevington Grove later Tallyho Stud, was owned by the Whites for close on a century. The rear is a Queen Anne fragment of about 1710, but the front appears to be later. This very beautiful house has a 19th-century service wing running at right angles on the back.