Beyton, Suffolk

Beyton, Suffolk

Beyton is a village and civil parish in the Mid Suffolk district of Suffolk.

The village is around eigh miles (13 km) east of Bury St Edmunds, two miles (3.2 km) south-east of Thurston and eight miles (13 km) north-west of Stowmarket. The main Ipswich to Bury St Edmunds road used to pass through the village – the modern A14 dual carriageway bypasses the village to the north.

According to Eilert Ekwall the meaning of the name is homestead by brook or Beaga's homestead.

The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Begoton or Begatona.The Domesday village was held by Hugh de Montfort and was a very small settlement with a taxable value of just 0.3 geld units.

The village was a farming community located on the glacial clay of High Suffolk. It grew up around the village green and along the main Ipswich to Bury St Edmunds road.

The road was turnpiked in1711 and became an accident black spot in modern times.

The village having been bypassed in 1978 with the modern A14 running to the north of the village.

A maltings was present in the village in 1855 and a post mill, which had originally been located at Wickhambrook, was moved to the village in 1830. A conservation area was established in the village in 1973.

Beyton Parish Council made both local and national news in 2015 after the chairman's wife blocked a member of the public legally filming a council meeting. The police were called to the scene.

Mercedes

Mercedes

The parish church, All Saints, is a Grade II* listed building.

It is one of 38 existing round-tower churches in Suffolk. The church tower is believed to be Saxon in origin, although the present tower has been dated to the 13th century. The building was heavily restored in the 19th century. The church is not mentioned in the Domesday Book entry for the village.

Beyton Middle School enrolled about 700 pupils from age nine to 13 with the majority of students coming from surrounding villages. The school closed in July 2014 as part of a reorganisation of schools to a two tier structure by Suffolk County Council that saw students stay in primary school to age 11 where they would then transfer on to secondary schools, mostly Thurston Community College, Stowupland High School or County Upper School in Bury St Edmunds.

The site is now used by Thurston Community College as part of its sixth form provision.

The geese on the green are also a familiar sight in the village.

Mercedes

Mercedes

Mercedes